Sunday, July 24, 2005

Training for week commencing 17/07/2005

Well this was my most interesting training week since I started. I set myself the challenge of three 10Km runs, and managed it... just! I got my best 10km time since the Great Manchester run, and followed it up with my worst time ever!

10km
19/07 - 49:24
20/07 - 56:53
23/07 - 50:26

Now you'll notice that the run on 20/07 has an appalling time compared with the usual time area I aim for. This happenend due to me hitting "the wall" which worryingly is known in the running world as "bonking". Needless to say I wasn't expecting it, and it was a surreal experience as my heart & lungs were OK, my legs weren't in any more pain then they usually were, and then all of a sudden I stopped! I had no control over it and the legs simply wouldn't respond to start with. I only had about 2 km left so had to do a mixture of walking and running which really damaged my time. I think this was caused by diet, as I had only had two cookies since lunch and the training run was later than usual. Also I hadn't had any Banana's as the supermarket had sold out of them... typical

Anyway, after getting another education, it spawned my 5th lesson in running:
Lesson 5: Cookies might taste great, but Banana's stop you bonking!

Anyway, the total distance run so far is 262.8 km. This is further than running from Stockport to Newcastle Upon Tyne! I wonder if I can make it back by the start of the Great North.

Andy