Saturday, December 06, 2008

2008 Beacons Ultra Special

Hi folks,

This was the inaugral Beacons Ultra! Billed as "a challenging 45 mile course, designed to be navigational friendly, yet providing the opportunity to experience, safely some of the fantastic mountain terrain the National Park has to offer". We had to be self sufficient in this race for everything but water (food, emergency clothes, first aid kit, head torch), and so my OMM Classic Marathon backpack had its third race outing. The route was a scenic two laps round part of the Brecon Beacons.

Quick results below
--------------
Time Position
11:03:05 26 out of 49

Loop 1 Start Loop 2 Start Loop 2 Finish Overall time
46 mins 4 hrs 49 mins 10hrs 04 mins 11 hrs 03 mins 05 secs
--------------

This was a fantastic event! It was the first time that all of "Team Cold Running" (Dave, Mike, Rich and me - 2009 MdS unofficial MdS team) were together in a race. What's more loads of people from themds.co.uk forum were also there, so I knew roughly half the field one way or another!

Mike had been carrying an injury leading up to this event so was considering only attempting one lap. Dave's training had been patchy since the Budapest Marathon in October, and Rich had returned from a long injury. :S I guess I'd been lucky!

I was grateful that on Friday night when we arrived Perks had organised a Chilli feast with rice, taco's and fajitas! Yum yum, far better then trialing out freeze dry Expedition Food! We had a sweepstake on predicted times and as a pot luck guess I went for 11:03:33.

We lined up at the start line for 08:00 on a cold Saturday morning when most of Britain was still tucked up warm in bed. The race started with Matt from Likeys (the race organiser) signalling the off and we followed the canal slowly heading towards the looming mountains. Rich and I paired up and the field slowly began to thin out. At Checkpoint Charlie (the start of the loop) I quickly filled up and we continued along the canal. We took a right turn and began a long slow climb alongside the Talybont reservoir. This sections seem to last for ages, and Rich and I fast hiked parts due to me being a little cautious from my Bullock Smithy escapades (my aim was to keep the heart rate in the low 150's). There were some great views along this section and its well worth a trip if you're ever in the area.


Eventually we broke out of the Tallybony forrest and finally started to feel what little warmth the Sun was sending our way. Another checkpoint passed by we saw some young army soldiers in full gear on some sort of exercise. We slowly climbed the steeper path along Tor Glas up to "The Gap" (or in Welsh, Fan y Big!!!). Some more great scenes with some snow topped mountains, but there was little time to admire them, as Rich and I made the decent from "The Gap". This side of the mountain was in the shade, and so was still icy and rocky and it made the desent tough, and certainly not one I could run.

Reaching the next checkpoint (Wozza - 19 miles - 3:49) we entered a thin path that was rock strewn, overgrown and a general all round shocker to run through! All part of the fun, and I welcomed the opportunity to walk with honour. After the shocker pathway we emerged onto nice smooth road, my natural home! Rich looked stronger at this stage and was slightly ahead with another chap who we'd caught up. After one or two field crossings we were back on the path and got back to the start of lap at Checkpoint Charlie (23 miles - 4:54). I joked with Rich that I might not be far off my predicted time, though of course there was a lot left to happen. My legs were aching a little, but overall still had reserves in them and I was feeling positive about the situation.

At this point Rich and I caught up with another Mike (wreckferret) and ran with him for a short while. As we started the long slight climb I was feeling a little empty and so fast hiked the entire length this time and Mike and two others passed and went off into the distance. At the Taf Water station (33 miles - 7:15) Rich and I separated as he still looked strong and I didn't want to hold him back. I saw the army troops we'd passed on the first lap again and by now they knew what we were attempting and encouraged me along. I enjoyed hiking up Tor Glas as my running legs had deserted me by this point. The Sun was setting and it had just gone 16:00 as I passed "The Gap" the second time.

Descending from "The Gap" a second time however was tricky. With the temperature plumetting, in the dusk light, there was now even more ice on the ground. Predictably I lost my footing at one point and landed on my arse. Luckily no damage except to my pride! I met Mike (wreckferret) who'd suffered an injury to his legs and was now struggling on the uneven terrain, a real shame, but his dettermined face left me in no doubt he'd continue. Further down I passed Kobus who was hiking one lap of the route, and I felt inspired to see him in the very last of the daylight as he was a big chap and to have got this far was incredible, the sheer strength of will on display made me forget about the aches and pains and I began to run again!

At Checkpoint Wozza (38.5 miles - 8:44) it was now pitch black and I donned my head torch and moved the food I'd need to complete the race to my front pouches. I used my energy drink powder in the water in the hope that it would revive my legs. The shocker pathway was even more difficult in the dark, but by the time I hit the roads I was able to run and felt some strength returning. I overtook a chap at this point who was looking for something in his backpack, but before long he caught up with me again and managed to get ahead. I was really glad to get to Checkpoint Charlie (43.5 miles - 10:04) where an enthusiastic Gilly from the forum had volunteered to man the checkpoint due to being injured (she'd be out in the cold longer than me making sure everyone got back safe).
It was the home stretch all the way now along the canal, the legs were empty and I swigged more of my drink. The watch was ticking away the mileage and I thought I'd come in around 10:50 based on the rumored actual distance of 46 miles. At 45.5 miles I threw what energy I had left into getting a sub 11 hour finish and for the 47th mile even managed a 12:19 pace. I felt bad overtaking a couple at what I thought was the final corner before the finish line... but no... the course continued! The mileage kept on pushing past the 47 mile barrier, and I realised that I wasn't going to get a sub 11, and so now the race was on to beat my sweepstake time. I eventually saw the finish line, and finished at 10:12 a mile pace, with my Garmin bleeping "low battery save now" (my legs felt the same!) with the total distance at 47.79 miles and a time of 11:03:05 (almost exactly what I'd guessed in the sweepstake)!

Martin from Likeys gave me a huge congratulations, a fantastic goody bag, and directions to some hot food! By the time I staggered the short distance into the Rugby club the tolls from the day started catching up with me and I felt really cold. Luckily for me a lovely lady called Sue manning the Chilli wrapped me in a sleeping bag and kept an eye on me for 10 minutes or so... thanks Sue! I saw Rich and heard about his fantastic race. He left me at the 33 mile marker, and managed to finish in 10:24:13 finishing 19th overall, he really must have been going at some pace for the last section!

As time went on we heard news that Mike had gone for a second lap and that him and Dave were at the back of the field helping Sharky get round. They really did have the elements against them as the temperature was plumetting and later Dave told me how the water in his bottle was begining to freeze! Rich and I made our way to the finish line for their finish and it was great to see them both come in over the line with a time of 15:34:35 (Dave with his usual sprint finish screaming!!!).

Back at the Bunkhouse the atmosphere was a lively one with Craig and Perks having cracked open the Veuve Clicquot and having a great time cheering us all up (I was a bit out of it for a while).

Overall this was a great race, and a huge thanks goes out to Matt and Martin (who's wedding was scheduled for the weekend after this race... talk about commitment and an understanding wife), and all the many volunteers who made this race possible. It was great to meet so many people from the forum, and it was a very memorable weekend.

Cheers

Andy

1 comment:

AlanC said...

Great report Shiz and glad to have met you. I read it all with your voice in my head too! Look forward to meeting you again, in the desert.