Wednesday, August 05, 2009

2009 - Cracken Edge FR

Hi Folks,

Well continuing my summer mythical themed races I entered the Cracken Edge Fell Race set near Hayfield over the Cracken Edge/Chinly Churn cliffs. At 7 miles long and 1450 feet of climbing its a class BM fell race so no walk in the park. Conditions were reasonably hot and sunny, but wet underfoot in places from recent rain. Quick results below:
----------------
Position Time
63 out of 229 55:59
----------------

This races follows a figure of 8 round Cracken Edge with a fair amount of climb. I set near the front tried to keep it easy to begin with as Chinley Churn is on the Bullock Smithy and I know the climb is a long one. I hadn't expected this first climb though as it was a real steep one and I was very glad when it eventually flattened out.

There was a bit of queue at a really tall stile which was a bit of a shame, but the nature of the beast I guess. The running was fairly tough underfoot, with uneven trails with puddles, mud patches and rocks. Fell running takes it toll on you far quicker then running on the road and it still surprises me how tough the downhills are due the uneven terrain. I'd like to think my balance is pretty good from a childhood spent playing down the valley and climbing trees, but to see one of the top fell runners come flying past you on the downhill, their feet barely touching the ground, with the balance of something akin to a gymnast is a sight to behold.
As I past the bottom of the figure of 8 with half way to go the body was not in the best of states. The warning lights were flashing and as we started the climb to Chinley Churn I was slowing. A friendly fell runner from behind offered me some words of encouragement and I adopted the Fell Running climbing walk technique using the hands on the knees to get additional distance whilst using the arms to ease some of the work on the legs and this served me well as I caught up with a couple of people who were jogging by the top of the climb.

Going down the hill was great! This slope was a gentle wide open soft grassed one and the speed I got up to was phenominal, with very little to worry about, and the slope in my favour I was flying. I was hoping to lose the fell runner behind me as this was road runner territory really, but he never slipped to far behind me, then came a difficult path strewn with rocks, puddles and tufts of grass. My ankles were tired and my speed was slowing because of this, and then came the descent from hell! This was a really steep slope, with rocks and tree ruts jutting out all over the place with very narrow footholds. I was reduced to a slightly hurried cautious walking speed, and it was here I was taught how much fell running skill I'm yet to learn as the chap behind me flew past me somehow, shortly followed by another. There sense of balance was incredible.
A wide path followed and then I could see the finish line, with a super steep, but wide open moorland finish. I through caution to the wind and flew down it and just pipped one of the other fell runners to the finish.

This was a tough race, and I was really pleased with my performance, and best of all it was a fundraising race for the Kinder Mountain Rescue. Thanks very much to the organisers, they did a great job. Maybe next year I should enter the Hayfield championships and see how I do in the league!
Cheers
Andy

No comments: