Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bramhall Park 5K Time Trial Special

Hello

A rather special race report here, the first ever Bramhall Park 5K time trial! Quick results below
---------------------------------
Time Position Age Grade %
20:27 8 / 89 63.08%
---------------------------------

A great first Bramhall Park TT. The sun was shining and there was a good turn out of about 90 people. This would be my first 5K and so I was unsure what speed to set off at. Half my Salford 10K time would put me at around 21:18, which I’d hope I would at least get that, but Bramhall Park has a few hills, so not exactly a fair comparison with the flat Salford 10K.

We started at the lodge entrance near Bridge Lane roundabout and went up the slope towards Bramhall Hall. Lee from Stockport Harriers was already several metres in front of me by the top despite him having had a big curry and beer session the night before, however he is about two leagues above me so that was to be expected. As we got to the duck pond, we crossed over to the other side of the park, and started the steep climb up. Along the straight at the top, Lee was still in sight… just!

As the second lap started though Lee was out of sight, and I knew I had perhaps set off a little too quick as Andy from Stockport Harriers overtook me, followed by another chap. I could hear a runner bearing down on me from behind and knew that they’d probably overtake me at some point.

As we started the climb on the other side of the park, the girl behind finally passed me (and went on to set the female course record!). Andy had pulled up to tie his shoe laces and I overtook him for all of about 10 seconds until he powered back in front again. The order stayed like this for the rest of the race and I crossed the line in 8th. I was really surprised how high up the rankings I’d come. I’d love to say it was down to my running ability, but I suspect as word spreads to the club runners I’ll slip into double digits, but for the moment I’ll enjoy my only ever single digit finish!

The organisation was great, and I’m eagerly awaiting the official results going up on the site. I thoroughly recommend people take part in future events (every Saturday @ 09:00), as 5K should be achievable for most able bodied people. If you’re tempted, sign up here, you only need to do it once, then can turn up whenever you want.

Given the frequency of Bramhall Park 5K TT I’ll just be recording the results of future ones, as otherwise it will take over this blog.

Cheers

Andy

1 comment:

Craig B. said...

Well done, old chap!!!! Most impressive time and placing. Gives me motivation to break my 22:03 5-km PB, but, hey, at my advanced age, that'll be quite an effort - you'd have to keep me off the wine for a few days beforehand!!!
Congratulations, Andy.
Cheers, Craig