Sunday, September 21, 2008

2008 Stanage Struggle FR Special

Hello folks,

The Stanage Struggle is approximately a 10K Fell Race classed as BM from Hathersage up a steep climb to Stannage Edge, along it and then back. Its organised by the Fat Boys running club.

Quick results below
--------------
Time Position
53:03 98 out of 282
--------------

I was invited to this race by Marple Phil who promised an excellent race followed by a pub lunch!!!! How could I refuse? I even managed to drag Lauren and her friend Brian along, though they wisely chose to do a nice walk from Ladybower Reservoir instead of competing in this race :)

Parking the car at this event was one of the hardest things as the race officials directed me into a field that was more a a hill to be honest. I only have a little Corsa, and after seeing a four by four need a push because of wheel spin from the muddy ground I thought I'd be in trouble. Sure enough, I needed a push from the parking attendents which was much appreciated. I think the lesson learned by all hear was just because the person driving the car can run off road, doesn't mean the car can!

I met up with Marple Phil and his friends and became a honourary Wootton Road Runner for the day. The weather was sunny and warm, and I'd even borrowed a bit of sun cream from another Fell Runner as it was that good! The whistle went and we were off! It was a congested start going over undulating footpaths. I kept it a little calm to begin with as these Fell Running is a very different beast to road running. The first proper climb was tough, and with it being early in the race I kept on running, however when I reached what I thought was the end of the climb I realised that there was a huge amount more, you just couldn't see it all in one go! As the climb went on my legs began to burn more and more with the exertion. I was contantly hoping for it to be the end, and as I hit some of the steeper sections I decided to fast hike instead. Many of the people continued to "run", but weren't going much faster then me at all.

Reaching the top of the Stannage Edge was a huge relief, I wish I'd had time to stop and appreciate what was an outstanding view, but I didn't, and so I trudged onwards. I was about a third of the way through the course at this point, and my legs were in a terrible state. I reckon I'd clearly pushed to hard on the climb for the ability my legs were at and was now paying the price. Even though Stannage Edge is pretty flat at the top, the uneven surface means you have to watch where you put your foot. For the first few minutes my rubber legs must have made me look like I was a drunkard taking part in a bar crawl rather than a fell runner. I realised at this point I'd put to much effort into the early part of the race and I was now going to be running on fumes until the end. The heart rate graph tells the story finishing with a dangerously high average!

Coming down of Stannage Edge was real tough due to hugely uneven ground and thick undergrowth lining the trail. Once the downhill flattened out a bit I used increased the pace and overtook a few who had got passed me earlier. Sadly there was a couple of stiles to cross, and by this point I was exhausted, and the inevitable happened as I stacked it coming down from one and ended up on the floor though thankfully with no damage except to my pride. On entering a field I noticed several runners take a looping route. I decided for the direct route and realised to late they'd been avoiding the bog! I emerged cleaner than I should have somehow with one leg thick with mud up to my shins, but it could have been worse.

I really was on my last legs by now and the route back just seemed to go on forever! Finally the last downhill appeared by the Primary School. I threw what little I had left and sprinted down the hill overtaking two runners only to find in my absolute horror that there was a short but steep up hill to the finish in the school playing field... my pace collapsed and I was barely going faster then a walk when the two runners overtook me climbing up the hill. I crossed the finish line with emense relief and pleased with my time of 53:03. Marple Phil wasn't far behind 57:01. After a quick catch up I managed to clean myself up a bit, and then Lauren turned up and bought some ice cream which turned out to be the best I've had in years!!!!
Overall this was a tough but really enjoyable race, and the Sunday lunch we all had aferwards was fantastic too! Thanks very much to the Fat Boys running club for organising it!
Cheers
Andy

No comments: