Friday, January 09, 2009

What a difference a year makes!

Hello,

I thought I should do an end of year review for all I've accomplished running wise in 2008 in my training for the 24th Marathon des Sables in 2009.

So here are the facts (records only began on my birthday in February thanks to a great present from my parents!):
  • Total distance run: 2,313.52 km (1,437.5 miles)
  • Total time out running: 225:19:19 (9 days, 9 hours, 19 minutes and 19 seconds)
  • Total calories burnt: 168,641
  • Total races entered (excluding Park Runs): 12
  • Total Park runs (5k): 12
  • New PB's at Marathon, Half Marathon and 5K
  • Favourite race: Beacon Ultra
  • Race I struggled with the most: London Marathon
An interesting graph for the more statistically minded...

Total mileage run would have got me this far as the crow flies on the world map (not as far I thought... the world is a big place!).


Overall I'm left with the nagging feeling of I should have done more training. I am not quiet at the stage I wanted to be at when I made my plan when I signed up for the MdS, but as John Lennon said, "Life is what happens whilst you're busy making plans". In reality, I've been relatively injury free compared with many of my MdS compatriots, and so I am really pleased with what I've managed to achieve. I've completed 3 marathons this year, and my recovery time from each attempt has got shorter. Over the Christmas period I completed my first back to back 20 miler and my legs were OK after it so it looks promising on the crucial aspect of post race recovery. I entered two Ultra Marathons, and although I didn't reach the end on my first one, I learn't a tremendous amount about what I need to do to keep my body going over such a long distance, and I've gained a lot of confidence for knowing that I can complete some Ultra marathons. I've struggled with doing any training in comparable conditions to the MdS temperature though which is a shame, but I hope to correct that in March with an acclimitsation holiday.

Whilst I still need to do some more prep for the MdS (and buy some more kit), I'm feeling like I've given myself at least a fighting chance in the MdS, and that I've taken the training seriously whilst still maintaining a life outside of running (which can be a difficult balance). I'll be keeping everything crossed that I stay injury free over the next couple of months!

Happy New Year all, I hope any running challenge you've signed yourself up for go well.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. Over New Year I had two excellent runs in the Whitby area, I can highly recommend the coastal walks both North and South of Whitby. If you're in the area check them out!

No comments: