Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Marathon des Sables

Hi,

A short blog post regarding my Marathon des Sables attempt. In March 2009 I will be entering the 24th Marathon des Sables, which is a foot race covering 151 miles (equivalent to 5 1/2 regular marathons) through the Sahara desert in South Eastern Morocco run over 6 stages (7 days). In addition to that, I'll have to carry everything I will need for the duration (apart from a tent and water) in my rucksack (food, clothes, medical kit, sleeping bag etc). Water is rationed and handed out at each checkpoint. The longest stage is approximately 40 miles long and the temperature can get up to the high 40 degree Celsius!

It's a little different and I've been asked several times why I'm doing it. Well there's not one single reason, more of a collection of smaller reasons including:
  • I've been into my running for several years now and enjoy the challenge each new difficulty of event brings.
  • I saw a TV programme on it (Jack Osbourne Adrenaline Junkie) and the MdS looked an incredible challenge with a fantastic comaradarie amongst the other competitors.
  • Two work friends, and one uni mate were interested in entering also, and this was to much of a coincidence for me to let it slip by.
  • I'm hoping to raise some money for the Red Cross by attempting this challenge and so hopefully benefit some people in need

If you're able to help with a donation then that would be much appreciated. All money goes to the Red Cross as this event is completely self funded.

Cheers

Andy

No comments: