Monday, March 30, 2009

MdS - Day 2 - The start... finally

Hi

Stage 1 - ERG CHEBBI / ERG ZNAÏGUI: 33 Km

Quick results
------------
Position Time
438 out of 805 05:03:39
------------

Today the race finally got underway. Staright into 12K of sand dunes and boy are they tough. The recent rain means that they are more stable underfoot then usual which is good. Already using my trekking poles though, but they are excellent at helping me through. Pack is very heavy sadly, around 11kg with water which takes its toll, my shoulder ache lots currently.


Thankfully CP1 (2:20 ish) to CP2 (3:40) was flat (about 9km), and I found the strength to motor on through this section. After CP 2 there were more dune sections. Really tall, like climbing a huge hill. After another 9km or so I reached the end in a little over 5 hours.

Heat manageable today, and feet OK. Gaiters took some minor damage, but have fixed via the miracles of Gaffer tape. Some very impressive landscapes out there, strangely beautiful considering the lack of green, give me the countryside of England any day though

No comments: