Monday, October 23, 2006

(Not so) Great Britain

There's been an unusual amount of press coverage on how Brtiain compares with our European neighbours recently. I thought I'd sum it up below:

Now to get one of these could just be one of those things, but to get all three... well it has to speak about some core fundamental problems that the average (though not every) British person has?

So I wondered what it was? My first thought was "Laziness", that explains fat and wasteful easily, but debt ridden? I wasn't convinced it explain that. My next thought was "Selfish", that explained wasteful and debt ridden (I deserve a new sports car), but not fatness so well.

Then I struck upon "Impatient"

  • Most bad foods are quick foods whether they be chocolate bars or microwave meals. Your average Brit can't "spare" the time to cook a proper meal regularly as there's so much on TV to watch!
  • Waiting 6 months till you can actually afford your next major purchase, rather than simply adding it to your credit card and getting it now, is simply to long for your average Brit.
  • Your average Brit doesn't think twice about the wasted energy used simply to save them spending 3 seconds to turn the TV on and off or driving to work 3 miles away when there is a bus every 15 mintues.

Which leads me to my last question. Are you an "average" Brit?

1 comment:

anton said...

No, as usual I'm probably not average.

Definitely agree that Britain is the fattest nation in Europe – a prejudice that is reinforced when I look at all the ugly, fatties waddling round Rotherham. Usually it is blamed on “poverty” though fresh fruit and vegetables have always been far cheaper than processed food and ironically most Brits probably had a healthier diet during WW2!!

I’m sure Big Pete will probably disagree with this as he usually recites some random statistic about Greece being the fattest nation in Europe (even though he’s never been there) and statistics can be bent/created to suit any argument – i.e. I could quote statistics to say that there is more poverty in England than India (it depends how ‘poverty’ is defined blah blah blah).

I blame materialism and individualism combined with a drive to make people in the UK particularly suspicious/questioning of all those in authority – trying to persuade people to eat healthier food, use public transport etc seems to have the exact opposite effect. The same argument could be pointed towards Political Correctness and Sex Education etc.